Walking in the Forest


Do I need a permit?

SnoPark Pass
You must have a SnoPark pass displayed in your vehicle to park in designated SnoPark areas, including Timberline Lodge & Ski Area, Mt. Hood Skibowl and many popular winter recreation trailheads.

Northwest Forest Pass 
You can use a Northwest Forest Pass at all Forest Service recreation sites in Oregon and Washington. It can save you time and money if you are visiting multiple sites, but most places will allow you to pay a one-time use fee if you do not have a Northwest Forest Pass.

What are the operating dates?

November 1 – April 30

Pass is issued for a calendar year, but most Mt. Hood trails only require the pass/fee from May 15 – October 10. Check for posted signs at trailheads.

Where can I buy one?

Government Camp
Mt. Hood Cultural Center & Museum
Timberline Lodge
Mt. Hood Skibowl
Govy General Store
+ others; see website below for a comprehensive list

US Forest Service Zigzag Ranger Station – Welches 

Government Camp
Mt. Hood Cultural Center & Museum
Mt. Hood Outfitters
Govy General Store

How much does it cost?

Annual: $25
3-Day: $9
Daily: $4
Many vendors are cash/check only, and may charge a small additional service fee.

An annual Northwest Forest Pass is $30. Most individual day use fees are $5, but you will need cash at the trailhead.

Where can I learn more about permits on Mt. Hood?

Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT)

ODOT’s TripCheck is a great resource for checking road conditions.

US Forest Service

The Forest Service also manages Wilderness and forest product permitting.